Monday, September 10, 2012

Wild Rumpussing and Eliciting Creativity in Kiddos

Wild Things
 
 
Children are naturally creative. Put a piece of paper and some watercolors in front of the noisiest-rowdiest kidlet and what immerges from deep inside them
 will astound you! 
I promise. 
 
How I do it...
 
1. I find a really great story with vibrant characters, wonderful inspiring illustrations and a solid message I want to convey to my students.
 
2. I find all the books I can that center around that particular theme.
 
3. I choose a medium I want them to work with that year.
 
4. I find music that will get them moving or calm them down and really get those creative brain waves going.
 
5. I start sloooowwwllllyyyy and give explicit instructions. I'll write about the entire step process in another blog. Stay tuned.
 
6. I don't worry about the end product.
 
7. I don't fret about the messes.
 
8. I try to get the most bang for my buck by linking everything to more than one curriculum area. I think about this a lot and I plan it out, a lot.
 
9.  I have them start small, sometimes this small may look ginormous to an outsider but it's all about getting used to the medium.
 
10.   I always try to remember that if everyone isn't having fun with learning or is afraid to take a risk, we re-evaluate, reassure and move on together.
 
 
Love,
TeacherMom
 
 
 
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment