Monday, November 19, 2012

Kiddo Wisdom:The Importance of Quiet Time


 "Sometimes I wish I didn't know how to talk, so people could leave me alone."

Nope, that wasn't something that came out of my mouth at the end of a frantastic day of teaching.
(I can see your eyebrow going up and  I hear 'ya saying, "Suuuuure! Really it wasn't!)
Actually that comment came out of the mouth of my very own kidlet after a day of treasure hunting. We all decided to go to a local restuarant and relax.
('cuz Momma was done for the day...and Daddy was too) 
At the end of the meal (dessert time!) the perky waitress asks my kidlet if she would like some ice cream. Kidlet turns to her. 
(head cocked, ear nearly touching shoulder, big sigh...) 
"Suuuure, thank you." Then she states the afformentioned.
We all giggle and of course I have to dealve deeper into her thinking.
"Why babe?" I ask. "Because sometimes I just want to be bored and just think."
(blink...blink...blink...hmmm, she's on to something?)
 
The Lesson
 
What hit me is that with those words she mirrored exactly how many of us feel at times.
Somedays, don't you just want to shut the world out and be left alone with your thoughts? 
Somedays, don't you just want to have 5 minutes to think of...nothing?
(how long has it been since you've listened to the swooshing of your own heart?)
Kiddos feel that way too. So,the next time you think all of you are having a grand 'ol time, look around. Someone may be wandering off to sit under a tree all alone. Let 'em. "Cuz that someone just may be you and know what? It's okay to be bored...sometimes. 
 
So, whattaya waiting for? Go lock yourself in the bathroom for 5 minutes and listen to the water trickle.
 
Love,
Teacher-Mom
  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment