Friday, January 25, 2013

Verbal Protests From Kiddos...It's a good thing

Why do I have to do this? This is hard! I can't do it! Ugh, this is so boring! Those along with other forms of verbal protests are heard in classrooms, homes and from the back seat of cars everyday
(a bear lives in my car...grrrrrr)
 Kids wouldn't be normal if they didn't retaliate in some form. Heck, I know I perfected the head- tip- eye roll- pose at seven or so. I can suck my teeth in with the best of 'em. And don't even get me started on the blink, blink, blink...I can hear you talking but I don't know (and don't care) what your saying dazed expression!
 Anyway, I think those are all good things and this is why...
 (no really...just as long as I get the last word in)
If a kiddo is protesting in some way then I know they are alive and engaged. I know that this is an opportunity to make an impact; an opportuntiy to see past their attempt at distracting me from the real problem. They are fearful, confused, and frustrated.  It's my job to figure out how to use that energy to develop their "brain muscle". Our job as Parents and Teachers is to find a way to get those little minds workingIt's our job teach kiddos how to process. How to think. How to engage their brain and how to question themselves so that they change those attempts at distraction into self help, affirming statements.
 I have to do this.  It's only hard for a while but it will get easier. And...This is practice for the real stuff.
I learned a good lesson today. From kiddos of course.
The Lesson
Kiddos need to be questioned. They take a lot of time to process "stuff" and those eye-rolls? They mean your getting to them. They are master manipulators but of course, we are the adults, we mastered it before them!
So, whattaya waiting for? Go practice your whine. I know you still got it in ya!
 
Love,
Teacher-Mom
 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment