Thursday, February 28, 2013

Sometimes you have to change you

"Do you like what you do?"

I have been asked that so many times in the course of my career and I have to truthfully answer, emphatically, NO, not all the time. There have been times when doing what I do is the last thing I want to do. I have dreaded the idea of going into the classroom.

 I have not always embraced the career I know chose me. Not the other way around.

 I don't think a person can go through life always loving what they do. Life is full of dips, twists, set-backs and slip-ups. Without them life would be boring. We would cease to keep growing. We would cease being active participants in our own journey.

You're not always going to do the right thing when it comes to teaching. That's a given.  But if you use what happens as fodder for growth you will continue on the right path.

No one ever said it was going to be easy. No one said it was always going to be fun.

All I can say is this.

There have been hours, days, months, and years when I truly believed that I could not go on teaching one more second or I would die a miserable death.

 But then again, there have been hours, days, months and years when the children were the only reason for getting out of bed in the morning.

Teaching can be a blessing and a curse. It is an avocation, moreso than a career.

 It's all in how you look at it. So if your doubting or contemplating this career choice remember this.

Children are only with you for a short while. Another group will come. If you find yourself repeating the same negative mantra from the previous year perhaps what you need to change is you.
 
Love,
Teacher-Mom

2 comments:

  1. Teaching can be tough sometimes but, as long as you still have days when you love it, it can also be the best job in the world. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! It's those good days that keep you going.

      Delete