Friday, April 12, 2013

K and L are for "Kinda Like"

     I'm cheating folks. Well maybe not cheating in the true sense of the word. I'm not trying to get one over on you; trying to convince you that combining the two letters was creative planning.
("These writer-reader folk  are way to savvy and smart for that," say the little voices...in my head)

     But cheating more in the sense that I have so many thoughts and ideas running through my mind, and I want to get them down faster than my fingers can type, and I find that by the end of a typical day which consists of stopping fights, drying tears, tying shoes, finding clothing pieces, making meals (or not...thank you GWH), making emergency trips to urgent care.... This Teacher-Mom runs out of time and energy!
(breathe...breathe...breathe...)
     I find myself flitting from topic to topic, trying my darndest to get them all down and combine them well enough so that y'all can see them and make them interesting enough that y'all want to keep coming back for more. And I find that this little A-Z Challenge...well, it's...
 Kinda Like teaching...

  And so I present to you some of the things that forced me to (nah...) inspired me to combine K and L 
The Bird Lady came and she was inspiring to me and the kiddos in so many ways!
Kinda Like...dropping Mentos in a bottle of Diet Coke!

We went out and experimented with our buddies and did so much more than just explore!

     And lastly, my original inspiration for combing K and L...

 

     Remember those simple games we played as kids when we didn't have a store bought item to fiddle with? Anywhere you go, kids, people in general, are more the same than they are different. I was talking with a group of Teachers and the topic led to how kiddos don't really play outside anymore. I said,  "I can't remember the name of this game I played as a kid. You used two sticks, you hit one with the other and everyone ran and hid then you..." and no sooner than those words came out of my mouth that someone, whom I know did not grow up in the same type of neighborhood that I did, piped up with, "Oh you mean kinda like..."
Kick the Can!
The Lesson
     There are some things that are just universal in their sameness. To have fun. To pique someone's interest, all one needs is nature and people.

So, I'm curious, what are some of your "Kinda Likes"?
Here's one from one of my students. " A toad is kinda like a frog but it's not slimy and has bumps all over it."

Love,
Teacher-Mom





6 comments:

  1. Just popping by from the A-Z challenge list to say "Hi" :)

    Great post honey!

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well hello! Thank you for stopping by. Now off to the next post??? I just wonder what it will be?

      Delete
  2. I love your K L post!! I love taking my Grandkids to the zoo. Owls are one of the COOLEST talks we sit in on.
    Peanut Butter and Whine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Birds are fascinating! This particular lady was amazing in so many ways. I look forward to writing about her in the future. She has such a great story to tell and everyone should hear it. Inspiring! Are you intrigued? I hope so! Thank you for visiting!

      Delete
  3. Your kinda like was kinda cute! Thank you! I kinda like most things I guess .. I'd kinda like to do that experiment with mentos in coke - I wonder if it would explode.
    Love the one pupil's comment re frog 'kinda like a toad ..'!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well thank you lady! Coming from someone as prolific and as my students would put it "with a real good thinking brain!" I take it as a real compliment. And the Mentos and Coke...stand waaaay back! Or not...it's "way cool" Enjoy!

      Delete