Friday, April 19, 2013

R is for Reaffirming Realities

     I usually try to focus on the positives that come with my profession. There's just too much negativity in this world to waste my energies elsewhere.  I try to share them here with whomever wants to read them. However, there are times that the ugly realities of life hit me full force and I find it hard to stay positive and find the humor in situations.  It's moments like these that I question if I made the right career choice.  As I've said before, there comes an element of guilt with this professon.  I feel that I, at times, lay my own children at the alter of teaching.  It's hard to deal with that reality.
Very.
       Then something happens that reaffirms my committment to not only the children I gave birth to, but to those that I share for just a short while.  It puts wind back into my sails and I know I am where I'm supposed to be and that this career...it chose me!
 
Me and my dad were together.
But then he got in trouble.
There was a police
on

 
the back of my dad.  And he was in jail..
 I missed him.  Then my mom took me to see my dad.
  Me  and my dad were crying. I said, "I love you."



The Lesson
This is reality for so many children.  That's why it is so important to make those hours they are with us memorable, positive, and life altering.  Children give their love freely and without reservations of any sort.
When my own daughter exclaims, "Mom, those kids really love you!" That also is a pleasant Reaffirming Reality...and a blessing, most of all! 

Love,
Teacher-Mom 

12 comments:

  1. You will never know the impact you had on those children, though if you're fortunate, you might know for a few. And in the meantime, you're being a great mother to your own kids. Rock on, Ethel.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ricky.You, being the spouse of a great educator and a child God, know first hand the sacrifice the families of Teachers make. God Bless you for that!

      Delete
  2. I love your blogpost. Sometimes we all doubt ourselves whether we are doing the right thing or not, that's the time, we must take the leap of faith and just believe in ourselves, everything else will work out on its own. You are doing a wonderful job, and I'm sure the kids love you for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I believe in the children. They amaze me and teach me everyday.

      Delete
  3. That story is so sad but within it is the reality of love. For me you post reminds me to as much as possible, to must re-affirm our children and our friends and family. To try to bring something positive into their lives - as well as into others less fortunate than we are. How lovely to be re-affirmed by your pupils! And your daughter saying so ...
    Susan Scott's Soul Stuff

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Children simply love...and love simply.

      Delete
  4. What is that saying? The toughest job you'll ever love. Something like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is tough...some days. However, these realities help me put things into perspective. So many of the children in this world have gong through so much more in the little time they have been on earth than most adults do in their whole entire life. It keeps me from whining about insignificant "sh-tuff".

      Delete
  5. :( That story is soooo heartbreaking. Makes me want to start sobbing my head off. Poor little kid.

    I think teachers, the good ones at least, are amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it made you sad. If it makes you feel better this little person is going to be something big some day. I just know it. I'm tracking her progress and she continues to excel.

      Delete
  6. Anything you do that helps a child, even when you wonder yourself if it's doing any good, is always worth it. Always.

    History Sleuth's Writings A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for reminding me of that. All those "little" things add up!

      Delete