Friday, May 3, 2013

Looking Back:My A-Z Reflections

"...remember, no matter where you go, there you are"
Buckaroo Banzai


    When I started this blog I truly thought it would be a place where I would share lessons with other teachers on the 3 R's...Reading, Writing, and 'Rithmatic.  I figured it would be a good way to help myself wrap my brain around this newfangled thing called Common Core.  I admired all those beautiful blogs out there created by talented, hard-working teachers.  I figured I would share some lessons and ideas too, and help myself as well as others.  I never intended it to become a place where I would share lessons about life. But as with so many things in life, well, they find their own path.  It just happens and you have to go with it.  I couldn't find my stride.  I kept on stumbling.  I couldn't even figure out (and still haven't) how to change the unknown on my address to www. (HELP anyone!)  People around me were starting to ask why I blogged.  I don't think they meant to make me feel like I was weird for doing it, but I did.  I was about to give it all up.
     Then, just as I was contemplating hitting the 'delete' button and doing away with this whole thing, the A-Z Challenge popped up.  I was intrigued.  So, I popped into some and read what they had to say.  I wondered who this D.L. Hammons was and what he had to say.  I wanted to know what this lady from South Africa with a blog titled The Garden of Eden Blog was all about.  I was impressed with the gorgeous crochet flowers this lady M.J Joachim made.  Little did I know that these, as well as countless others would help me realize that, nah I'm not weird.  Nope.  I, like them, just have to do this thing we do.  Write.
     Let me tell 'ya a secret...most teachers have a really hard time talking about anything else but teaching.  We can get pretty bogged down with 'the job'.  And we tend to stay pretty isolated.  That's just the nature of the job.  So, when this challenge popped up, I took it as a sign.  It was a sign that I needed to expand my interests, ideas, frame of reference and learn from y'all!
So with that, this Teacher-Mom thanks you for being a part of helping me share some giggles, some deep thoughts, some tears and countless lessons.  And to my friends who read my blog through my Facebook link.  Thank you for being my cheer-leaders!
But most of all to all of you...
Thank you for being the reason I didn't hit that 'delete' button!

Love,
Teacher-Mom

8 comments:

  1. Congratulations on the completion of the Challenge,
    also a great reflection post.

    Yvonne.
    A TO Z AMBASSADOR

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all, thank you for being an Ambassador. That title sounds so official...kinda like Principal! And thank you for taking time out of your life for encouraging so many of us!

      Delete
  2. Yay for completing the challenge! It's a lot of fun ... total chaos too but lots of fun as well. I've found so many friends through this bloggy-verse too. It's an amazing way to connect to others. So glad you didn't hit delete!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jemi, I wonder if planning ahead would ease some of pressure. Naaaah! There's something about writing on the fly that motivates me! Making new friends is always a great little perk too. Now this teacher doesn't feel so isolated:)

      Delete
  3. I am now a follower of your site--I missed it during April, but that's the great thing about the Reflections posts. Blogging about teaching is a great concept and I know there are many out there who do.

    As far as the "unknown", I think you are stuck with it. If you really want to change it, you could start a brand new blog with a new URL and then export all of your posts from this blog to the new one. I've never done it before, but I guess it's not too difficult.

    Thanks for being a part of the Challenge.

    Lee
    An A to Z Co-Host
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yikes! Start new blog, export...nooo! You're making me sweat:0 Thank you for stopping by and especially, thank you for being a wonderful Co-Host. I know it's a huge undertaking!

      Delete
  4. Oh, you're still weird, Ethel, but you have a great blog. I'm glad you kept going. I was in pretty much exactly the same place with mine that you were. And I'm still weird.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glasses up...to weirdness...clink!

    ReplyDelete